With the Internet and technology changing often and quickly, we are often asked what social media platforms are important for a business. Here are our top five:
Facebook is the uncontested King of Social Media. Starting off as an online space exclusively for university students in America, the team at Facebook HQ, recognized the potential and quickly expanded their network for everyone to connect with friends, family, and colleagues.
This social media platform quickly became a must-use network for businesses. With features such as Groups and Pages and their advertising tools, Facebook has planted itself firmly among other titans of the industry like Google. The latest statistics are:
- 2.45 Billion active users (Source: Facebook, 2019)
- 80 Million small business pages around the world (Facebook, 2018)
- 65% of Facebook users are under the age of 35. (Source: Statista, 2019)
- 96% of active users accessed the platform from a mobile device (DataReportal, 2019)
- Users spend an average of 58.5 minutes per day on Facebook (Recode, 2018)
For businesses, big and small, Facebook is impossible to ignore. Its impact due to the number of users as well as the amount of engagement those users bring is vital on a low budget. Facebook allows your business to connect with your customers on a personal level at a minor cost.
Instagram started off as an iOS-only app but since its inception, it has gone on to become a massive social network bought out by Facebook.
On the surface, Instagram is just an app that lets you edit and share photos. Their curation is what has set them apart from other competitors. Using hashtags (#), users can find and create trends. The latest statistics are:
- 1 Billion monthly active users (Statista, 2018)
- Instagram is the second most engaged social network (Emarketer, 2018)
- 71% of the billion monthly active users on the Instagram app are under the age of 35 (Statista, 2019)
- 83% of Instagrammers say they discover new products and services on Instagram (Facebook, 2019)
- 500 million Instagram accounts use Instagram Stories every day (Instagram, 2018).
- 1/3 of the most viewed IG stories are from businesses. (Oberlo, 2019)
- Instagram helps 80% of Instagrammers decide whether to buy a product or service (Facebook, 2019)
Businesses can gain important and useful insight from the hashtags such as consumer insight, new ideas and feedback from people in your industry.
LinkedIn calls itself “the world’s largest professional network.”
Since it is a platform geared for business, it has a more formal and professional approach. Therefore, a LinkedIn strategy will differ greatly from that of other popular social media sites.
Job seekers and brands alike use LinkedIn as an important part of being a full-fledged professional in any industry. The latest statistics are:
- 660 million users in more than 200 countries and territories across the globe (LinkedIn, 2019)
- 57 percent of LinkedIn users worldwide are male, compared to 43 percent of females (Statista, 2019)
- An average LinkedIn session lasts six minutes and seven seconds (SimilarWeb, 2019)
- LinkedIn has more than 30 million companies listed on the platform (LinkedIn, 2019)
LinkedIn is so valuable because it hosts more than 660 million professional profiles, which means nearly an unlimited supply of network connections and job opportunities.
With around 330 million users sending out 500 million micro-blogs every day, Twitter is an effective channel for communication when customers want information quickly and easily.
The power of Twitter as a marketing tool has been realized by many small business owners who are using it to help their businesses grow. Considering that it costs very little to market a product on Twitter, businesses should definitely consider this tool for boosting their Internet marketing activities. The latest statistics are:
- 330 million users (Mention, 2018)
- 145 million active daily users (Twitter, 2019)
- 66% of Twitter users are male and 34% are female. (Datareportal2019)
- 67% of all B2B businesses are using Twitter as a marketing tool (Statista, 2018)
- 40% of Twitter users reported purchasing something after seeing it on Twitter (Digital Marketing Institute, 2019)
One way that bigger brands have started building a personality on Twitter has been by commenting on and responding to current events such as political candidates, celebrities and even other brands. This can be an extremely effective method of personifying your brand.
Pinterest is basically a social scrapbook. You “pin” images into specific categories and you can “pin” as much as you want into however many categories that you create. The unique feature of Pinterest is that globally, 83% of its users are female (Source: Engage). The latest statistics are:
- Pinterest currently has 322 million monthly active users (Pinterest, 2019)
- More than 14 million articles pinned each day (Oberly, 2019)
- Seven out of every ten Pinterest users are female (eMarketer, 2018)
- There are over 200 billion pins saved on Pinterest (Pinterest, 2019)
Food and Drink is the most popular category on Pinterest and its users tend to trust the information they receive through their pinboards. Users also receive price updates for their pins – a very useful tool for businesses to drive purchases.
Understanding what each platform has to offer should be a significant focus in every brand’s marketing strategy.
The ability to reach people locally, regionally, nationally and internationally should be utilized to its fullest extent. Researching the platforms will allow brands to make informed decisions about which platform is the most appropriate tool for their objectives.
Understanding a brand’s target audience and the unique characteristics of the chosen platform will allow a business to personalize its messages so it resonates with that audience most appropriately.
If you are struggling to identify the social media channel that is best for your business, reach out to us. We can help you leverage these powerful marketing tools.
If you’re overwhelmed, struggling to get things done, or recognise you need some assistance, organise a call with me to discuss your business support needs.